Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 21:00:22 -0500
>>> Think of how the brain works and how it breaks down information and
>>> also how it uses it to categorize, store, structure, correlate,
>>> index, find, recall, aggregate, transform, format, render, etc.
>>> everything it works with.
>>
>> What good it will do us to think about how the brain works?  We do
>> indeed need to deal with such issues as categorization, storage,
>> recall, etc, but we're doing all those things on computers. How will
>> thinking about how the brain works help us do those things better?
>
> Plenty. As with most of our prior creations, we make machines in
> our own
> image. Include software, mathematics and logic in this class of
> machines. Peirce's manuscripts develop semiotics directly from how we
> understand the world. We think in signs, as do machines.
>
> When we're lucky enough to have intersection between sender and
> receiver, information flows easily. Otherwise, information sharing
> is a
> problem in knowledge, perception and belief, to steal a phrase from
> Dretske.    (01)

Interesting observations to be sure, though I can't see that any of
them addresses the question of how it is that understanding how the
brain, e.g., stores memories or keeps the heart beating or processes
visual and auditory information will aid us in developing tools to
facilitate information sharing and integration.  Nothing you say even
mentions brain function.    (02)

-chris    (03)