Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 01:36:14 -0500
> Semantic Web (or Web 3.0) is a place where machines can read Web
> pages, very much the same way humans read web pages (processing
> data and information, interpreting context, and creating
> knowledge). Semantic Web is a place where search engines and
> software agents can more effectively crawl, index, understand, and
> interact with the Net and find, manipulate and understand what
> we're looking for. It's based on a set of standards, such as the
> Relationship Descriptive Format (RDF)    (01)

RDF = Resource Description Framework.    (02)

> and the Web Ontology Language (WOL but many times referred to as
> "OWL").    (03)

I guess "all the time" implies "many times". :-) I don't believe OWL
is ever referred to as "WOL".  From the W3C docs it is clear that
"OWL" is not an acronym at all but rather a proper name for the
particular web ontology language that was developed by the Web
Ontology Working Group based upon the web ontology language DAML+OIL.    (04)

That said, the language was apparently called "WOL" briefly in the
early days of the working group.  As one reads in the OWL FAQ:
Q. What does the acronym "OWL" stand for?    (05)

A. Actually, OWL is not a real acronym. The language started out as
the "Web Ontology Language" but the Working Group disliked the
acronym "WOL." We decided to call it OWL. The Working Group became
more comfortable with this decision when one of the members pointed
out the following justification for this decision from the noted
ontologist A.A. Milne who, in his influential book "Winnie the Pooh"
stated of the wise character OWL:    (06)

"He could spell his own name WOL, and he could spell Tuesday so that
you knew it wasn't Wednesday..."    (07)

-chris    (08)