Re: [ontolog-forum] Current Semantic Web Layer Cake

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 16:45:28 -0400
Hi Chris,

The brain addresses a number of key areas (not in any particular order):

- Receiving
- Collection
- Categorization
- Memory/Storage
- Indexing
- Correlating
- Accessing
- Processing
- Ordering
- Formatting
- Rendering
- Learning
- Communicating
- Controlling
- Etc. (and much more)

The brain (its capabilities & behaviors) is the key to a successful Semantic Web.

XML, RDF, OWL, etc. are all human interpretations of trying to break down data representation in such a way that they mimic what the brain can do, in a highly simplified manner, in hopes of allowing machines to perform the basic work that a brain can.

In our own implementation, we've broken down how the brain works and mapped functions into key areas of our product, to help create decoupled functional areas that all interact with each other in a clean and effective manner.  Nothing is perfect but I can say with confidence that having gone through this exercise definitively helped us get to a point in Data, Information, and Knowledge Management that definitely surprises a lot of people, when they see it.

There is a wonderful book called "On Intelligence" by Jeff Hakwins (the inventor of the Palm Pilot).  I highly recommend reading it.  It provides some great insight that highlights why existing computer systems, models, paradigms, designs, etc. have serious issues with getting to the next level of fluid interaction.  He also talks about things like the importance of how feedback works and how critical the memory layout is to learning, understanding, processing, communicating, etc.

Anyhow, I hope this helps.

My Best,

Frank

Frank Guerino, CEO