Re: [ontolog-forum] Communities Of Inquiry

To: Ontolog <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:20:45 -0400
o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o    (01)

MD = Mills Davis    (02)

Mills,    (03)

Thanks for the references.  For the time being I'll just venture
a few superficial observations that come to mind as stimulated by
the titles and themes that you mention.    (04)

MD: I recently came across an interesting group that is focusing on
    larger issues relating to cooperation and collaboration similar
    to those you outline.  You may want to check out their site,
    library, and discussions:    (05)

MD: Background:    (06)

MD: Howard Rheingold, author of ''Smart Mobs''
    ( http://www.rheingold.com/ ) and the    (07)

MD: Institute for the Future (IFTF)
    ( http://www.iftf.org/ )    (08)

MD: authored a study on Technologies of Cooperation
    ( http://www.iftf.org/docs/SR-897_Techs_of_Coop.pdf )    (09)

MD: The introduction to this study begins as follows:    (010)

    | When social communication media grow in capability, pace, scope,
    | or scale, people use these media to construct more complex social
    | arrangements —- that is, they use communication tools and techniques
    | to increase their capacity to cooperate at larger and larger scales.
    | Human history is a story of the co-evolution of tools and social
    | practices to support ever more complex forms of cooperative society.    (011)

MD: Following publication of this study, they formed the Cooperation Commons
    ( http://www.cooperationcommons.org/ )    (012)

MD: Here you will find a great collection of documents.
    Also, there is an active, global cooperation commons
    discussion group which you can join.    (013)

MD: Also there is a discussion group on Google Groups --
    CooperationCommons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    (014)

The main thing that I've learned from my last few years of practical
experience participating in a variety of wiki-based collectives --
Wikipedia, Wikinfo, Textop, Citizendium, Centiare, and several
that have already gone defunct -- is that there is nothing
automatic or monotone about intelligence emerging within
their spheres.    (015)

Quite a few observers have described this as a "scaling problem",
the sort of thing that the Greeks had already said about limits
on the size of an ideal city-state, democratic or otherwise.
As a collective passes from a small cadre of dedicated and
disciplined participants to the sort of "viral" population
that many wiki-lawgivers seem to prize so highly, there is
a threshold where the initial aims of the project start to
fly out the window, perhaps beyond all hope of recapture.    (016)

It's clear then that some extra factor is required, beyond
the king's men and king's horses of mere population growth
and mere advances in technology.    (017)

What that is, is still a good question, but I think we
can no longer postpone the need to address and answer it.    (018)

Jon Awbrey    (019)

inquiry e-lab: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
¢iare: http://www.centiare.com/Directory:Jon_Awbrey
getwiki: http://www.getwiki.net/-User_Talk:Jon_Awbrey