Re: [ontolog-forum] Communities Of Inquiry

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mills Davis <lmd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 12:06:37 -0400
Jon,

I recently came across an interesting group that is focusing on larger issues relating to cooperation and collaboration similar to those you outline. You may want to check out their site, library, and discussions:

Background:

Howard Rheingold, author of Smart Mobs,

Institute for the Future (IFTF)

authored a study on Technologies of Cooperation

The introduction to this study begins as follows:

"When social communication media grow in capability, pace, scope, or scale, people use these media to construct more complex social arrangements—that is, they use communication tools and  techniques to increase their capacity to cooperate at larger and larger scales. Human history is a story of the co-evolution of tools and social practices to support ever more complex forms of cooperative society."

Following publication of this study, they formed the Cooperation Commons

Here you will find a great collection of documents. Also, there is an active,  global cooperation commons discussion group which you can join.

Also there is a discussion group on Google Groups -- CooperationCommons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mills