Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and

To: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 10:27:24 -0500
>John,
>WE both see that the mechanisms of intelligence and intelligent behavior
>consist in finding out what is Real Meaning and how it can be embodied in
>computing machines. Pat is inclined to say (what i repeated many times) that
>formal meaning has nothing to do with Real Semantic Web    (01)

That is the exact opposite of what I was saying.
My point was to emphasize that formal theories of
meaning - in particular, the normative model
theories of RDF and OWL - apply to informally
defined notions of meaning just as well as to
meanings defined mathematically. So a formal
entailment can transmit informal consequences
from its premis to its conclusion. This is what
makes the semantic web useful, and not just an
empty exercise in global formal logic.    (02)

Pat    (03)

>;. Or, no
>understanding of real meanings, no real world semantic applications.
>I believe that this issue must be the main point  where we need to
>concentrate our attention.
>Azamat

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (05)