Re: [ontolog-forum] Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: 'SW-forum' <semantic-web@xxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:43:16 -0400
Azmat, John & All:    (01)

the similarities between real meaning and formal methods are striking,
consider how we've shaped much of information theory in the image of
this quote from a little over 100 years ago ...    (02)

There is the Intentional Interpretant, which is a determination of the
mind of the utterer; the Effectional Interpretant, which is a
determination of the mind of the interpreter, and the Communicational
Interpretant, or say Cominterpretant, which is a determination of that
mind into which the minds of the utterer and the interpreter have to be
fused in order that any communication should take place. This mind may
be called the commons. It consists off all that is an must be, well
understood between the utter and interpreter, at the outset, in order
that the sign in question should fulfill its function. This I proceed to
explain.    (03)

                        - Charles Sanders Peirce, Spring 1906    (04)

How close the semantic web ( circa 2007 )comes to information theory, is
a different issue ...    (05)

--
Best wishes,    (06)

Rick    (07)