Re: [ontolog-forum] Two ontologies that are inconsistent but both needed

To: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Pierre Grenon <pierre.grenon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:41:45 -0500
>Hi Pat...
>
>Wow..  That was a lot of writing.  Forgive me if
>I fail to generate so long a discussion -- it is
>simply outside my ability.  A couple of
>comments, though.  And a pre-apology for
>top-posting, but it's simpler to say what I want
>as systemic comments on your post rather than a
>point-for-point response.    (01)

Sure. I'll try to give crisp answers.    (02)

>1) You called on Barry to consider adopting Quine's doctrine for existence.    (03)

Did I? I thought that what I was arguing at the
beginning there was exactly the denial of Quine's
doctrine. My point was that logical existence,
being the value of a bound variable - Quinean
existence - has to be construed more broadly than
any philosophical view of what 'really' exists.
If one logic or ontology is going to be usable by
a variety of people, then that logic needs to be
able to quantify over everything that ANY of them
believe exist (and maybe some other things as
well.) I called this being 'panoptic' in the IKL
guide. It has to include everything in one view,
even if nobody believes in all of these things.    (04)

>  To borrow your example from below:
>
>       (ist Morning (that (inside Fritz Bratwurst)))
>
>By this, you are asking the user of your
>ontology to accept propositions, as they do fall
>under the quantifiers in IKL.  While I don't
>have a problem with that (and in fact really
>like that feature of IKL), this is hardly a
>benign, pedestrian, work-a-day kind of entity to
>introduce into the kinds of engineering
>ontologies that people actually build    (05)

Oh, I quite agree. We introduced them only to be
able to handle the context logicians. My point in
the email to Barry doesn't depend on IKL: all the
temporal stuff can be done in pure CL.    (06)

But in fact I do think that IKL illustrates my
general point. You may not believe that
propositions are real things which do exist in
the actual world. I tend to doubt it myself.
Nevertheless, they are extremely useful things to
have in one's ontological universe of discourse;
which is of course just another way of saying
that it is very useful to be able to talk about
them. We do of course talk about fictional or
hypothetical entities all the time. So, should an
existential doubt about the reality of
propositions be considered a good reason for
rejecting IKL? I suggest not. There may be (there
are) good reasons to reject IKL, but a kind of
ontological distaste for admitting the existence
of the entities it quantifies over should not be
counted as one of them.    (07)

>, cf:
>
>>Ive never seen any convincing pragmatic or
>>engineering argument for insisting on this as a
>>rigid distinction
>>

>But while you find the continuant/occurrent
>distinction distasteful, you don't seem to mind
>propositions, the existence of which by the
>Quine doctrine you are definitely committing to.    (08)

Propositions are useful. The continuant/occurrent
distinction (actually, the notion of a continuant
as something which has a temporal life but no
temporal extent and no temporal parts) is not.    (09)

>2) If the continuant/occurrent distinction
>doesn't make any difference insofar as our use
>of terms to refer to temporal phenomena is
>concerned, then we run into another problem.  So
>you don't like that distinction.  How about
>presentism?  Your philosophy is very close to
>empiricist and verificationist    (010)

It is? Where do you get that idea?    (011)

>, so I'm guessing (and I admit I could be wrong)
>you will lean toward presentism.    (012)

You couldn't be more wrong. Not only do I not
lean towards it, I believe it to be ultimately
incoherent. But philosophy aside, my point was
that having two distinct and incompatible ways of
referring to temporal structure seems
unnecessary, and is certainly formally very
awkward.    (013)

>  If you want to construe say, me, as a
>4-dimensional object, then presumably you don't
>believe in the existence of any of my future or
>past time slices.  Would that be fair to say?    (014)

No. About as wrong as you could get :-)    (015)

>3) As far as "convincing pragmatic or
>engineering argument" goes, would not such
>arguments be empirical and/or anecdotal by
>nature?  If so, then accept the work our
>ontologists at OW have done as such evidence.
>We use every day a bi-categorial upper level of
>the kind exemplified by BFO, Cyc, and DOLCE    (016)

Well now, you will have to explain that, because
Cyc handles this whole issue completely
differently from DOLCE, for example. Cyc does
*not* make a sharp absolute taxonomic distinction
between continuants and occurrents. It provides
both modes of expression, and allows you to use
the one you like best, and it can convert from
one to the other. Which is exactly what I was
suggesting. On this issue I have in fact been
partly inspired by Cyc, a point I should have
acknowledged.    (017)

>, and have found it quite useful, both in
>teaching and in practice.  If you'd like to see
>some of these ontologies, we'd be glad to show
>them to you.    (018)

Sure, by all means. You might have to explain to
me the rules of the formalism they are written in.    (019)

>4) Again, following Quine's doctrine, what are
>these things for which the continuant/occurrent
>distinction is incoherent?    (020)

I didn't say it is incoherent. I said it isn't
necessary, and that it many cases - I think most
- it is more trouble than it is useful.    (021)

>  Presumably, you'd want to be quantifying over
>some class of objects for which you'd like to
>state some axioms governing, e.g., property
>change over time, however that comes out in your
>favorite formalism.  Then, by Quine's doctrine
>you're committing to the existence of those
>things.  Let's call them Continuoccurrents.    (022)

Actually lets just call them occurrents. The
suggestion amounts to making every spatiotemporal
thing into an occurrent, which is then a category
which can be dropped as it has no explanatory
value. Occurrents are reasonable temporal
entities: they extend in time and have temporal
parts. It seems to me that anything that extends
in time can be said to have temporal parts. I
cannot imagine what it would mean to assert the
former and deny the latter. It seems to me to be
obvious that I, for example, have temporal parts.
Right now I can even remember some of them.
Continuants are the weirdos. They last for a
time, but they have no temporal extent? They
cannot have temporal parts? When present, they
are wholly present; and yet, they have a past and
a future?    (023)

It seems clear that what these peculiar things
are, in fact, are entities from a presentist
philosophical view that have, by a kind of
ontological teleporting, been injected into a
non-presentist ontological framework; a kind of
alien from another world-view, that does not fit
properly. Since they all have an exactly
corresponding occurrent (their 'lifespan') which
is obviously the more appropriate version of the
same entity in a temporal framework, I suggest
using that instead. And I'll even allow you call
it a 'continuant' if that makes you happier: as I
said, the distinction is not an ontological one,
but a difference in axiomatic style of
description (and in that mode, it is quite
useful, I agree, particularly for expository
purposes and for connecting to natural language.
I used the terminology myself in the IKL guide,
in fact. But I was using it 'casually', not in
the Peter Simons strict sense.)    (024)

>  Now you have to elaborate your theory of
>Continuoccurrents and distinguish them from
>temperatures, numbers, properties, propositions
>and all the kinds of other things you have in
>your ontology.    (025)

Well, of course. I wasn't claiming to have a
magic bullet, only that this distinction, which
some folk (notably Barry) have insisted on with
such persistence, is not necessary and more
trouble than it is worth. Its pretty easy to take
any continuant/occurrent ontology, throw out the
overarching philosophical necessary distinction,
and provide linking axioms/rules which make the
translations between the two axiomatic styles. I
have already volunteered to do it for any
moderate-sized ontology.    (026)

>  Doesn't sound to me like that project is any
>less problematic than the defense of either
>bicategorialism, 4D, or any other metaphysical
>framework.  By this I mean on a practical,
>engineering level.    (027)

Im not defending any metaphysical framework.
Metaphysicians are still arguing about questions
that Plato asked, and they havn't reached
agreement yet. All metaphysics does is to take
some perfectly ordinary statement and require
that it be re-stated in almost incomprehensible
jargon that nobody but a philosopher can follow,
and not all of them. I am sick of having people
tell me that I must distinguish continuants from
occurrents, or properties from tropes, or pay
attention to Heideggerian moments, or not do this
or that in my ontology because Kant or Quine or
Hegel said it was naughty.    (028)

To hell with metaphysics. The criteria we should
be adopting to make these choices should be
pragmatic. We are supposed to be engineers, not
metaphysicians.    (029)

Pat    (030)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (032)