Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 16:07:48 -0400
Ingvar,    (01)

I accept the notion of 'truthlikeness' with the option
of degrees of truthlikeness, as well as many degrees of
confidence, certainty, approximation, etc.    (02)

But I wouldn't equate truthlikeness with truth.    (03)

Given Peirce's definition of truth as the ultimate goal that
might require an indefinite amount of research by indefinite
number of scientists, it wouldn't make sense to have
different degrees of truth.    (04)

I also accept the fallibilist point that we may already have
discovered a large number of true statements, but that we
have no way of being absolutely certain that any particular
statement is absolutely true (although we may have a very high
degree of certainty in its degree of approximation).    (05)

As I said, I am willing to bet my life on the science and
engineering that supports our cars and airplanes.    (06)