Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 14:23:09 +0200
Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
> Ingvar Johansson wrote:
>> Popper means that a "better approximation to truth" has a higher degree
>> of verisimilitude/truthlikeness than a "worse approximation to truth"
>> has. He subscribes (as do I) to a correspondence theory of truth, and he
>> thinks (as do I) that this correspondence allows for degrees.
>>

> Fine, but this still does not seem to give support to the view that
> truth can be graded.  Approximations, yes.
>       (01)

If one accepts (given the correspondence theory of truth) that it makes
good sense to speak of 'approximations to truth' (which at one extreme
ends in 'completely true' and in the other in 'completely false'), then
truth becomes a determinable that has many determinates, which can be
graded. In this sense, truly: "truth can be graded".    (02)

Ingvar    (03)