Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 13:36:43 +0200
Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
> Ingvar Johansson wrote:
>
>> Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
>>

>>> I would think that, irrespectively of (1) being true or false (in the
>>> sense of its correctly describing the state of the matters, as in some
>>> flavour of the correspondence theory of truth), any of (2) and (3) is
>>> either true or false.  Their truthlikeness is not really a measure of
>>> how much they are true, but rather of how much we certain that they (or
>>> the initial assumption) are or are not true.
>>>

>> You are saying that the truth of the notion of 'truthlikeness' is to be
>> found in an epistemological notion of 'truthlikeness'. But you are
>> simply bringing in *another notion* of 'truthlikeness' than the one that
>> I have presented. Don't present your own preferred views as being the
>> true interpretation of my views.
>>

> :)
>
> I haven't said that this was what *you* meant.
>       (01)

Come on, look above. You wrote: "Their truthlikeness is *not really* a
measure of how much they are true, but *rather* of ..."    (02)

>>> If we assume that (1) is simply (?) true, then both (2) and (3) must be
>>> (simply?) false to us.
>>>
>> As long as you stick to the polar notion of truth-falsity, then you have
>> to say that all propositions that are not 'simply true' are 'simply
>> false'. And then you end up in the curious position that all scientific
>> theories - today, in the past, and for an immensely long future to come
>> - are simply false.
>>

> Why?  I don't see how this follows.  Surely, there may be theories that
> are simply true?  Even if only incidentally?
>       (03)

It does not follow logically, but most scientists who believe in
truth-seeking seem to be of the opinion (which I share) that even
today's and tomorrow's theories will have to be revised.    (04)

>> Usually, people who want to deny degrees and gray
>> zones, and who want to see everything in only black and white, end up in
>> curious positions. Here coms a quotation from Popper.
>>

> I do not deny degrees.  I just say that -- for me, if you'd like it
> stressed -- truth is as you call it 'polar'.  Truthlikeness maybe is
> not, but truthlikeness is not truth.
>       (05)

You have not understood the concept of 'truthlikeness'. At one end it
contains 'simple truth', and at the other end 'simple falsity'. If it
could be linearly quantified, which I am fairly sure it cannot, then
'true' could be given the value 1 and 'false' the value 0.    (06)

>> "I have in these last sections merely sketched a programme […] so as to
>> obtain a concept of /verisimilitude/ which allows us to speak, without
>> fear of talking nonsense, of /theories which are better or worse
>> approximations to truth/. I do not, of course, suggest that there can be
>> a criterion for the applicability of this notion, any more than there is
>> one for the notion of truth. But some of us (for example Einstein
>> himself) sometimes wish to say such things as that we have reason to
>> conjecture that Einstein’s theory of gravity is /not true/, but that it
>> is a /better approximation to truth/ than Newton’s. To be able to say
>> such things with a good conscience seems to me a major desideratum of
>> the methodology of the natural sciences ("Objective Knowlege", 1972, p.
>> 335)."
>>

> Here, apparently, Popper speaks about better or worse approximations of
> truth, not of better and worse truths.  These approximations can be
> graded wrt. how well they approximate the truth -- but is this supposed
> to support the view that truth is or can be graded?
>       (07)

You must be using some "principle of uncharity in interpretation".
Popper means that a "better approximation to truth" has a higher degree
of verisimilitude/truthlikeness than a "worse approximation to truth"
has. He subscribes (as do I) to a correspondence theory of truth, and he
thinks (as do I) that this correspondence allows for degrees.    (08)

Ingvar    (09)

--
Ingvar Johansson
IFOMIS, Saarland University