Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barker, Sean (UK)" <Sean.Barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:55:23 +0100

Sean Barker
0117 302 8184    (01)

Even in Euclidean 2D, one might ask which of (0, 1)x(0, 1) and {0,
1]x[0, 1] (the open and closed sets) is a square, and if one, why not
the other. The question is, is Euclidean 2D space the only place where
we want to use the concept square?    (03)

> A particular figure is a square, or it is not.  We may look
> at it from different distances, angles, etc., and decide that
> it is a square or not (or, rather, decide whether we think it
> is a square or not);  the figure is or is not a square,
> independently of our decision and our confidence in that the
> decision is correct.    (04)

I order a square cover for a hole. In engineering terms, this is
specified by two identical dimensions, together with tolerances, and the
constraints which make it a square - angles at corners, plus tolerances
on the accuracy of the angles, or equivent specifications such as how
parallel the edges are.    (05)

I suspect that by arguing in terms of 2D Euclidean space - which assumes
manipulation through classical logic - that you have assumed the
hypothesis that you are trying to demonstrate.    (06)

> Consider non-square figures.  These figures are not squares.
> But they may be squarelike, and they may be squarelike to
> different degrees.  But how squarelike they are is not merely
> a function of how they are, but is dependent on the observer.    (07)

Or - it depends on the "squarelikeness" function the observer selects.
What this says is that there is not an ideal "squarelikeness" function,
or, if you prefer    (08)

        There does not exist an unique ordering of squarelikeness
functions A, B, ... s.t. A(x) < B(x) for all x, x a figure     (09)

>  Squarelikeness parasites on both the figures and the
> observer:  a polygon might be seen as more squarelike than a
> circle in that a square is a polygon, but a circle is not;  a
> tetragon might be seen as more squarelike than a pentagon, in
> that it has four rather than five edges;  an equilateral
> tetragon (a rhombus) might be seen as more squarelike than an
> eqiangular tetragon, or vice versa.
>
> Nevertheless, any non-square figure is not a square.  It is
> not a square at all.  It may be squarelike.  You might also
> say that a square is perfectly squarelike, in that it is
> square.  But you might also say that a square is less
> squarelike (and is not square) than, say, a non-square
> rectangle, if you look from some particular angle -- this
> does not, however, change the fact that the square is square
> and the non-square rectangle is not.    (010)

You seem to want to restrict all discussion to formal systems, which
would mean that the ontology 101 pizza example is not an ontology.    (011)

> And here I see an analogy to truth:  truthness is like
> squareness, and truthlikeness is like squarelikeness.  The
> latter may be more useful in that we decide whether something
> is more or less truthlike, while we may never be able to
> decide (in the sense of forming a belief rather than making
> orders) whether something is true or not.  (So John might say
> here that this notion of truth is mystical, religious, and
> inapplicable.)    (012)

This is based on a claim that only two valued logic are valid, which I
would claim is invalid at the 99% level.    (013)