Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Reality and Truth

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ingvar Johansson <ingvar.johansson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 11:50:00 +0200
Waclaw Kusnierczyk schrieb:
> Ingvar Johansson wrote:
>
>> John, who endorses
>> Peirce's view that the scientific community *approaches* truth, equally
>> stubbornly simply refuses to consider my (originally Popper's) proposal
>>

> Hm.  Might it be that you present your own preferred views as if they
> were Popper's?  (Pardon me my ignorance.)
>       (01)

They may by some be taken to differ in one detail, but I think they are
essenntially identical. I mentioned Popper in order not to become
accused of having stolen any idea. In what follows, I will simply defend
my own views.    (02)

>> to introduce a notion of 'truth' according to which truth is a
>> determinable that can take degrees. I don't know what blocks them, but
>> here are some further words that might help to make the notion of
>> 'truthlikeness' clearer.
>>

> Fine.  I agree with you that this theory might be seen as a reasonable
> one.  I don't see it this way, which does not appear to me to be a proof
> of its falseness -- which is completely coherent with my previous social
> constructivism, call it as you like.  I think we were discussing what
> truth *is*, and then I simply stick to my own beliefs.  If it were
> obvious to me that we discuss how truth *could* be, I would (I think)
> agree with you.
>       (03)

Statements are *about* something. What they are about depends on the
concepts used. *Different concepts* are now and then (in everyday life,
in science, and in philosophy) embodied in the *same graphical sign*. In
this discussion the graphical sign 'truth' has been used both for the
concept of bipolar truth and the concept of truth as a determinable that
can take degrees. I have tried to show that the latter concept is (i) a
semantically coherent concept, and (ii) a concept that makes it possible
in a simple way to speak about science as progressing towards 100%-truths.    (04)

Given 'truth as truthlikeness', one can meaningfully ask: "what *is*
this truth or truthlikeness?" And then my short-hand answer is:
"truthlikeness is an internal relation between a proposition and a
truthmaker". This means, among other things, that to ascribe a certain
truthlikeness to a proposition is *not* to ascribe it a monadic
property, but a *relational property*.    (05)

Ingvar    (06)

--
Ingvar Johansson
IFOMIS, Saarland University