Re: [ontolog-forum] {Disarmed} Re: OWL and lack of identifiers

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 19:32:47 +0200
John:
That posting from me was intentionally light-hearted: my point, spelled out, is:    (01)

So-called human "common sense" is a very subjective term, I'll admit. But it is
usually able to disambiguate many things that computers are incapable of. If I
point in the sky at night and say, "there's the moon" only a computer (or
someone working too hard on W3C ideas about identifiers and addressing and not
getting out enough) is going to reply: "that's wrong, it's your finger" - the
context and "common sense" is enough to understand what I'm doing (pointing,
rather than just raising my finger to look at it), and what I'm saying.    (02)

To use the above example further and distinguish between the subjective opinion
and an objective statement, the only objective statement, irrespective of other
contextual information, is:
'Peter is pointing at the sky and stating "There's the moon"'.
If you and/or other people look in the sky from the same vantage point and
confirm by your own observation what I'm stating, does it make the statement
"There's the moon" an objective statement or not? The point is surely that how,
or whether, you answer that question, you will always need a context. And
context is notoriously difficult (some would say impossible) for formal logic
and machine processing to encapsulate and process.    (03)

*******
I think you take the light-hearted (but nonetheless pertinent) point that I
make too far in extending it to the generally relatively poor level of social
and political education in the USA, where indeed Fox seems to be considered by
many as a "news" service. I think the examples that have been debated on the
list are on the other end of the spectrum with regard to complexity of the
statements concerned.    (04)

Enjoy your Sunday and keep away from Fox TV ;-)    (05)

Regards,    (06)

Peter    (07)