Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:50:51 -0000
John,    (01)

CP> a bishop would be a sub-type of person.  If James were
 > a bishop, you would say that there is only one James who  > is both a
person and a bishop (at time t1).    (02)

JS>Of course.    (03)

CP> If one left ones property to the Bishop, then when James
 > dies in office, the property would remain the property of  > the bishop
and not pass to James's heirs.    (04)

JS>That depends on how you stated the deed, either explicitly or implicitly.
There are usually legalistic phrases attached, such as "ex officio", to
indicate how the money is given.    (05)

The example says that the property was left to the Bishop, not James. The
problem arises where James dies/retires and is succeeded by John (say). In
many European legal systems - there is no change in ownership in the
property ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_sole ) as the Bishop
owns the property, not James or John - and it explicitly recognises each of
these as legal persons. Indeed the notion of corporation sole was
constructed for this very purpose.    (06)

However as I see your scheme, there would be two roles, one played by James,
one by John - but both or neither of them own the property. And if both own
the property, then there is a transfer of ownership. I suspect the tax man
would be pleased if your view prevailed (he could charge inheritance tax on
the transfer). However, the fact he does not would seem to indicate that he
thinks he would not win this argument.     (07)

Apparently the following are examples of corporations sole.    (08)

Statutory corporations sole in the United Kingdom    (09)

    * Auditor General for Wales
    * Chief Inspector of Criminal Justice
    * Official Custodian for Charities
    * Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
    * Public Services Ombudsman for Wales
    * Traffic Director for London
    * The Crown    (010)

[edit] Statutory corporations sole elsewhere    (011)

    * Public Trustee
    * New Zealand Public Trustee    (012)

I am assuming that in your scheme of things these would be roles - rather
than legal persons - separate from the person occupying the role.    (013)

> CP> It seems that implicitly mean that *at time t1*, X < Y means
>  > that every instance of X is an instance of Y. Maybe better to
>  > say that X <t1 Y means that at t1 every instance of X is
>  > an instance of Y.
>
JS> No. To say Employee<Person means that at *every* point in time
> and place, if x is an employee, then x is a person.  It doesn't
> matter whether x is an employee of more than one company at
> that time, the simple statement "x is a person" is still true.    (014)

I think you have restated my position. What you do not mean is that X and Y
are timeless sets and that X is a sub-set of Y - because the members of X
and Y change over time.    (015)

Regards,
Chris    (016)

11:49    (018)