Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Assumptions of FOL

To: "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:30:02 -0000
Pat,    (01)

Do not want to get too involved in exegesis. But think DavidL's view on
scattered members of a set would be that it is pointless to tie down the
spatio-temporal extent - rather than that there is not one. Quine et al.
would take the same position (I guess) with scattered physical objects -
such as the fusion of all hydrogen atoms. One might take the same view of
the English cricket team when they have gone on holiday.    (03)

> Although I think its philosophically
> fiction-talk, I actually prefer to have a
> clear-cut abstract/spatiotemporal distinction and
> firmly relegate all mathematically described
> collections to the former category. Its just
> easier to remember, basically. If you prefer,
> treat my 'abstract' as a spatiotemporal category
> in your ontology: we will be able to communicate
> without too much trouble.
>

> >CP>You mention numbers, but that is expanding the scope of the
> discussion.
> >Here, I agree, problems lie.
>
> Numbers (natural numbers if you like) are my
> paradigm abstract/platonic entities; they are
> some of the very few such abstracta that I can
> form any coherent intuitions about.
>
> Pat
>

> >BTW, I agree it makes sense to put everything in
> >space and time. (If numbers exist at all, surely
> >they exist *now*.) Which is fortunate for me,
> >being a dyed-in-the-wool nominalist who doesn't
> >even believe that numbers are real :-)  I
> >wouldn't suggest that a user community subscribe
> >to my peculiar philosophy, however, and I see the
> >pragmatic advantages of Platonism, and am even
> >willing to use modal language, with of course the
> >private perspective that it is all completely
> >fictional.
> >
> >Pat
> >

> >>Best wishes,
> >>Ingvar
> >>

> >>--
> >>Ingvar Johansson
> >>IFOMIS, Saarland University
> >>       home site: http://ifomis.org/
> >>       personal home site:
> >>       http://hem.passagen.se/ijohansson/index.html

> >--
> >IHMC         (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
> >40 South Alcaniz St. (850)202 4416   office
> >Pensacola                    (850)202 4440   fax
> >FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
> >phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes

> --
11:49    (05)