Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Assumptions of FOL

To: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:01:58 -0500
>Pat,
>
>Comments below.
>
>Chris

Well, I can see a lot of problems with this. If
you believe, for example, that all spatiotemporal
entities are in some sense physical, you will get
into trouble. Or if someone else believes this
and bases *their* ontology on it, and then you
try to work with them. Many high-level frameworks
make the spatiotemporal/abstract distinction very
high up, so get into difficulties when it is
denied. And DavidL's position as I understand it
is that this is so when the members are
spatiotemporally close: but what of highly
scattered examples, such as the set of all the
hydrogen atoms?    (02)

Although I think its philosophically
fiction-talk, I actually prefer to have a
clear-cut abstract/spatiotemporal distinction and
firmly relegate all mathematically described
collections to the former category. Its just
easier to remember, basically. If you prefer,
treat my 'abstract' as a spatiotemporal category
in your ontology: we will be able to communicate
without too much trouble.    (03)

>CP>You mention numbers, but that is expanding the scope of the discussion.
>Here, I agree, problems lie.    (04)

Numbers (natural numbers if you like) are my
paradigm abstract/platonic entities; they are
some of the very few such abstracta that I can
form any coherent intuitions about.    (05)

Pat    (06)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (08)