ontolog-forum

Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontological Assumptions of FOL

To: "'Pat Hayes'" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:25:01 -0000
Pat    (01)

A number of points:
1) the argument (see above) went: if the instances are spatio-temporal, so
is the set, in some sense. You are taking the argument the other way  from
sets to instances. Neither I nor DavidL made this claim.
2) one needs to be careful about what counts as a kind of stuff, matter?,
space-time? (DavidL has an interesting footnote on this. Often there is a
notion of physical that it tied to matter, with a more general notion tied
to spatio-temporal. Maybe this is where the disconnect is.
3) If one has a Fregean notion of number, then as the set of all (actual and
possible?) sets with 17 members would have an infinite number of members
working out the density would be difficult, if not impossible. But not
absolutely meaningless. However, I have already agreed numbers pose
problems.    (03)

> >PH>Or if someone else believes this
> >and bases *their* ontology on it, and then you
> >try to work with them. Many high-level frameworks
> >make the spatiotemporal/abstract distinction very
> >high up, so get into difficulties when it is
> >denied. And DavidL's position as I understand it
> >is that this is so when the members are
> >spatiotemporally close: but what of highly
> >scattered examples, such as the set of all the
> >hydrogen atoms?
> >
> >Ah, I think we are talking about different things here.
> >If you are saying that a lot of existing ontologies have X therefore we
> need
> >to have something that can work with X - I can see the argument.
>
> That was my main point, yes.
>
> >My point is rather that if 'abstract' is a bit difficult to get a clear
> cut
> >picture of - then people using it will end up with different
> classifications
> >- making things difficult to reconcile. My tactic would be to just take
> >abstract out of the hierarchy - not sure what kind of problems this would
> >cause.
>
> I agree that just tossing a tricky distinction is often a good
> strategy under these circumstances. But I tend to think that most
> folk agree fairly well on the abstract/spatiotemporal division, in
> fact, and that DavidL is rather an outlier. He has a number of rather
> odd realist views, of course, including possible worlds.    (04)

Ad hominem argument (though with some substance). However, I think his basic
point is so simple and obvious, that one needs to face up to it.    (05)

> Pat
>

> --
> IHMC          (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
> 40 South Alcaniz St.  (850)202 4416   office
> Pensacola                     (850)202 4440   fax
> FL 32502                      (850)291 0667    cell
>     (06)

Chris    (07)

--
11:49    (08)