Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Florian Probst <f.probst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:38:39 +0100
Pat Hayes wrote:
>> Inline:
>>

>> On 3/20/07 10:58 AM, "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>>  Pat Hayes raised several issues I think are worth further discussion,
>>>  but I would like to focus on 2 of them:
>>>    (1) Hasn't building a common foundation ontology already been tried?
>>>
>> DN: I believe both SUMO and DOLCE qualify here, yes?
>>

> SUMO, but not DOLCE. I would describe DOLCE as a framework rather
> than an ontology. But given PatC's further explanation, I concede
> that what he is talking about has never been achieved. An 'upper'
> ontology isn't the same thing as a basic set of concepts out of which
> you can define all others. That is much more ambitious.

Dear Pat,
I am curious to learn why you consider DOLCE a framework rather than an
ontology. DOLCE and BFO seem to me the most rigorous and philosophically
sound attempts to provide structure to domain ontologies that are
currently available. What is the purpose of a foundational ontology if
not to serve as common denominator? Or in your words, as a set of
concepts out of which you can define all others? I think, Patrick C made
an important point by asking how to relate the many different formalized
conceptualizations (domain ontologies) if not via a small set of concepts.
For geographic space, any country has its own geographic coordinate
system and specialized map projections. The world that these maps
represent is in all maps the same, yet it might be differently depicted
(represented). In cartography, coordinate transformation is a long
solved problem, because it was possible to define a "geodetic datum".
If  two cartographers commit to such a geodetic datum, they can
translate the positions represented in one map(projection) into another.
Why not achieving such a "semantic datum" for ontologies?
regards,
Florian

--
http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de/~probsfl