Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "David Decraene" <David@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 15:26:48 +0100

>FP> Why should employee be a role while chair is not?    (01)

>For very good reasons:  a chair can be recognized by the
>properties it has in itself without looking at anything else
>(but one can use things that are not chairs *as* a chair).
>But you can't tell whether a person is an employee without
>considering something else.  See the KR book for a discussion
>of Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness.    (02)

>John    (03)

To add to the discussion:
It might be hard to recognize a transferase (kind of enzyme) by the properties
it has, but maybe not impossible, so we enter the grey zone there, is it a
role, or an actual enzyme characterized by the possible role/function it (can)
bear?
Simply said, identifying whether something is a 'natural kind' or a role might
be very hard in some cases and completely depends on the level of granularity
of your ontology or the background of the modeler.    (04)

David    (05)