Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:46:59 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

I think the data modelling community also thought it had been solved a long
time ago, but came up with a different answer :-)    (02)

Firstly, I can see what you intend by your idea of employee.    (03)

Consider this case.    (04)

If I joined IBM ten years ago.
If I then joined HP six years ago (while still being employed by IBM),
Then five years ago I left IBM.    (05)

Throughout the last 10 years I was an employee.    (06)

Your notion of employee does not distinguish between employers - and it is
also temporalised - one is an employee at a time.    (07)

JS>Subtype has a very clear and simple definition:  X < Y means that every
instance of X is an instance of Y.    (08)

It seems that implicitly mean that *at time t1*, X < Y means that every
instance of X is an instance of Y. Maybe better to say that X <t1 Y means
that at t1 every instance of X is an instance of Y.    (09)

JS>That is covered by two subtypes of Role called the
PrehendingEntity and the PrehendedEntity.  The employer
and the owner are prehending, and the employee and pet
are prehended.  That's all in the KR book or on the web:    (010)

I am not sure how this would deal with employees with multiple employers at
the same time. It looks as if it would have problems. Could you explain.    (011)

However, this is not the notion I find when I look at systems.
Typically a system will say who the person is employed by, when he/she
started employment, and if appropriate when they left employment.    (012)

This is the notion that Aristotle was capturing with his master/slave
relationship.    (013)

In the example above, I would expect to find:
I was an IBM employee who joined 10 years ago and left five years ago.
I am an HP employee who joined six years ago.      (014)

Of course, you could answer, that you can introduce into your scheme
sub-types of employee called IBM employee and HP employee. However, apart
from the name, how is this related to IBM and HP?     (015)

However, the case of 'corporation sole' is much clearer in marking the finer
grained requirement.     (016)

In your scheme of things, a bishop would be a sub-type of person. If James
were a bishop, you would say that there is only one James who is both a
person and a bishop (at time t1).    (017)

However, in English Law there would be two legal persons, James and the
Bishop.  If one left ones property to the Bishop, then when James dies in
office, the property would remain the property of the bishop and not pass to
James's heirs.    (018)

I do not see how your scheme of things would deal with this requirement.
Again, I would welcome an explanation.    (019)

Best regards,
Chris    (020)