Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:00:24 -0500
Pat,    (01)

I'd rather drop the issue myself.    (02)

PH> I'll just register my view that this idea of anything being
 > a 'sign' is absurd, as is the idea that all life is intentional.    (03)

Of course, that is as silly as saying that everything in a
computer is information or data or bits or whatever.    (04)

But it can make sense if you have a systematic way of further
subdividing, classifying, relating, and most importantly
*implementing* useful subcases of signs, or information,
or whatever.    (05)

But carrying on a debate about semiotics in this forum would
be a waste of time and effort.    (06)

PH> I would rather toss aside Peirce (and Ogden & Richards) than
 > give up on the insights of computational psychology.    (07)

Whoa!  I don't care what you toss aside, but the phrase "insights
of computational psychology" is an open invitation to bringing in 50
years of unresolved debates that we definitely don't want to rehash.    (08)