Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:51:41 -0500
>  >Matthew:
>>Since a Person is a maximal Person_Slice (though I would prefer
>>state_of_person to person_slice) ...
>

>So presumably by substitution we have also that a maximal
>Person_Slice is a maximal maximal Person_Slice_Slice, or
>
>maximal <maximal Person_Slice>_Slice
>
>if Matthew prefers.
>Oh what a merry web we weave.
>BS    (01)

Slice, or 'episode' as I now prefer, just means
temporal-part-of. So the principle that Matthew
states is that anything is equal to its maximal
part, which is another way of saying that part-of
is reflexive. This seems a harmless mereological
convention to adopt (it presumably motivates the
idea of a proper part, i.e. a part which is not
maximal.)    (02)

So yes, the maximal part of the maximal part of
... (as many times as you like) ... of X, is X.
Its like saying the largest subset of the largest
subset of ... X, is X; which of course is true,
though not particularly useful.    (03)

Pat    (04)

IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)