Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "Cassidy, Patrick J." <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:34:51 -0500
Pat, since your idea seems to be getting some momentum, I will stop
carping and try to be more constructive. But first, can you elaborate
slightly on this :    (01)

>"... a much smaller set of basic concepts whose meanings are quite
>well defined, and which serve to provide the basis for combinatorial
description of all the more complex concepts."    (02)

I want to understand what you mean here absolutely clearly. What
exactly is a "combinatorial description"?    (03)

Do you really mean to have concept-combinators of some kind? Can you
sketch what they might be like, or give some examples? Or say roughly
how many of them you think will be needed?    (04)

For a possible example, when we translated description logics into
Common Logic, we found that the DL primitives could mostly be treated
as relational combinators, which in CL can be functions on relations,
so that for example the OWL restriction 'allValuesFrom' is a function
from a unary and a binary relation to a unary relation, with the
defining axiom    (05)

(forall (c p x)(iff ((allValuesFrom p c) x)(forall (y)(if (p x y)(c y))) ))    (06)

and OWL-DL then can be rendered as a smallish collection of these
functions (more or less), but of course one can imagine others also
being useful.    (07)

Is this the kind of thing you have in mind? Or have I completely
misunderstood you?    (08)

Pat Hayes
IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (09)