Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology and methodology

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Chris Partridge" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:37:32 -0000
John    (01)

> CP> As I have researched it, the situation was that bishops
>  > have always kept their property intact - not the person
>  > occupying the position.
>
> I have no quarrel with that point.  I also accept the fact
> that a clerk who receives a payment in a store is obliged
> to put it into the company's coffers, not his or her purse.
>
> But as I'm typing this email note, I also have a cup of coffee
> on the desk.  As I alternate between the roles of Typist and
> CoffeeDrinker, I take care not to pour coffee into the keyboard
> or poke my fingers into hot coffee.  But I don't become two
> different individuals as I switch between those roles.
>     (02)

I think there are different kinds of roles. Margaret Gilbert makes this
point very well in On Social Facts. There comes a point where a role
acquires responsibilities - and then the need to recognise it as an
individual becomes acute. MargaretG is excellent with her examples, arguing
that even something as innocent as a conversation can be regarded as a
subject with responsibilities.     (03)

For Bishops the requirement for an individual is acute, for CoffeeDrinkers
it seems to me less acute. So my position is that there is a difference in
(some sort of) kind between CoffeeDrinker and Bishop. One can have
responsibilities, the other does not (at least, as I understand it).     (04)

However, like MatthewW, in my 4D world I would want to see a similar
temporal stage pattern for the individuation of Bishops and CoffeeDrinkers.
What I wanted to point out is that the same luxury in not available in the
3D scheme of things, where CoffeeDrinkers can be roles of person, but
Bishops (and conversations?) need to be individuals. There is an interesting
asymmetry here. I would argue that this points to an advantage of 4D over 3D
- but do not want to cover too much old ground.    (05)

> The same kind of alternation of activity occurs when clerks and
> bishops perform actions for their organizations or for themselves.
> Most people can "walk and chew gum at the same time" without
> becoming schizophrenic.
>    (06)

Agreed.    (07)

Regards,