Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology inMetaphysic

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 13:11:27 -0500
Barry, Chris P., and Peter,    (01)

Yes, thanks for mentioning George Mealy (1967) and
Bill Kent (1978).  I knew both of them from my IBM days,
and I cited both references in my CS book, but I had
forgotten that they also used the word "ontology".    (02)

I have been emphasizing the point that the database work
on the ANSI/SPARC conceptual schema (mid 1970s) was
addressing many of the same issues that the SemWebbers
are talking about today.    (03)

PY> The good news is Leo and Michael are now working together
 > to help get us towards a "framework", that would allow us
 > to deliver the Summit objective of "Ontology, Taxonomy,
 > Folksonomy: Understanding the Distinctions."    (04)

I'm glad that Leo and Michael are working together.    (05)

What I find so frustrating is that people have been
"getting together" for over 30 years and publishing lots
of good books and papers, but we are still going around
and around on the same kinds of issues.    (06)

In 1980, there was an ACM conference on databases,
programming languages, and artificial intelligence,
which brought together people from all three fields.
Ted Codd, among others, was representing databases;
Pat Hayes and I, among others, were representing AI.    (07)

When I look through those old papers, it's really
discouraging to find that they don't sound outdated.
People are still saying, writing, and debating the
same issues today.    (08)