Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology in Metaphysi

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:30:00 -0400
Pat,    (01)

Pat Hayes wrote:    (02)

>>(d) Philsophical ontologies such as those of Plato and Aristotle can,
>>just as little as Newtonian mechanics, be defined as "a vocabulary
>>together with a specification of the meanings of the terms in the
>>vocabulary; the specification should be definable with a model theory
>>and a machine interpretable syntax."

>>(f) It is no more odd that the term 'ontology' can take on many
>>different meanings than that more ordinary terms can do so.
>>

>True, no doubt; but THIS FORUM is centrally
>concerned with "ontology" in one, rather
>technical, sense: the one quoted in your (d)
>above; which, as Chris M has pointed out, is a
>definition which THIS FORUM has formally adopted
>as its working definition. If this excludes what
>you call "philosophical ontologies", and if you
>are chiefly interested in those, then by all
>means pursue your interest, but please do not try
>to divert THIS FORUM from its stated and main
>goals, or add to the noise level in the email
>discussions. Thank you.

Really?    (03)

Hmmm, well, I suppose that would have to be recorded somewhere.    (04)

Let's look at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologCharter    (05)

Which reads:    (06)

> Ontolog is an open, international, virtual community of practice,
> whose membership will:
>
> * Discuss practical issues and strategies associated with the
> development and application of both formal and informal ontologies.
>
> * Identify ontological engineering approaches that might be applied to
> the UBL effort, as well as to the broader domain of eBusiness
> standardization efforts.
>
> * Strive to advance the field of ontological engineering and semantic
> technologies, and to help move them into main stream applications.    (07)

Looks like your definition is missing.    (08)

Do you agree?    (09)

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!    (010)

Patrick    (011)

PS: You may be reporting your personal definition or one that supports a
particular business model but that is not the same as a definition for
the entire community.    (012)

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (014)