Re: [ontolog-forum] The Relation Between Logic and Ontology in Metaphysi

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:19:36 -0400
At 01:03 PM 3/16/2007, John F. Sowa wrote:
>Pat,
>
>JFS> For example, the quantifiers of predicate calculus
>  > (or any equivalent form, such as Peirce's graphs) are
>  > not well suited to dealing with continuous stuff,
>  > such as water.
>
>PH> I beg to differ. In a very old paper, whose title I
>  > believe may have been the first use of 'ontology' in its
>  > modern sense in a refereed publication, I used classical
>  > first-order logic to describe liquids in some detail:
>  > water in particular.
>
>Yes, I know that paper.  I didn't say that it was impossible
>to use the usual quantifiers, but that they are "not well
>suited".   As you and others have shown, it is necessary
>to add a lot more machinery, such as measures and careful
>distinctions about how various lumps are subdivided and
>combined.  (I cited your paper in my 2000 book.)
>
>Quibble about references:  Your paper was published in 1985:
>
>     Hayes, Patrick J. (1985) "Naive physics I: Ontology for liquids,"
>     in Hobbs & Moore (1985) pp. 71-107.
>
>My book _Conceptual Structures_ appeared in 1983 (with a 1984
>copyright).    (01)

I think Pat was referring to uses of 'ontology'
in the sense of this FORUM in the title of a
published work. The earliest use I can find in
the body of some published work is:    (02)

Mealy, G. H. 1967 “Another Look at Data,” Proceedings of the Fall Joint
November 14–16, Anaheim, California (AFIPS Conference Proceedings,
Washington, DC: Thompson Books, London: Academic Press, 525–534.    (03)

BS    (04)