Re: [ontolog-forum] Levels

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:07:15 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

<snip>    (02)

>  > It eventually emerged that the groups in the two countries were
>  > NOT using two versions of the same program, but two different
>  > programs with different capabilities.
>
> There are many possible sources of errors in NL reports, including
> vagueness, ambiguity, and confusion caused by different perspectives
> on the same phenomena.  Two programs written by different people (or
> even by the same person at different times) typically embody different
> perspectives -- or different "ontologies", as one might say.

MW: It is even worse than that. Two implementations of the same system
(same version) can embody different ontologies and be incompatible.
I know 'cos we've done it thinking that using the same system would
solve the problem.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (05)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)