Re: [ontolog-forum] Levels

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:54:07 -0500
Debbie,

 How about (as an example) the Bee.  The bee, as a singleton entity, can be described as having any number of complex and interdependent biological processes that work just fine within the perspective of the bee.  Yet, the hour-to-hour activities and goals of what the bee is accomplishing by means of these processes does not make sense until one introduces the knowledge of the Hive that the bee belongs to.  A higher order of meaning for the individual biological processes of the bee.

Chuck

Charles Turnitsa
Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
cturnits@xxxxxxx