Re: [ontolog-forum] Levels

To: "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:59:48 -0500
Hi Pat - I'll have to show you some examples. At work now. I'll try to
provide a fuller explanation within the next few days. Sorry for
throwing in all these misc. concepts.    (01)

Debbie    (02)

On 2/22/07, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> >If this thread is about Levels, can there be a numbering system for
> >the levels rather than words because interpreting words seems to be
> >causing all the problems for reasons stated below. Numbering systems
> >as opposed to naming systems are more straighforward and
> >dispassionate.
>
> As long as well all know what the numbers mean, of course :-)
>
> >Would you say the Levels of on ontology could be:
>
> Sorry to rain on a parade, but I really don't know what most of these mean.
>
> >The global view, unedited, uncaptured, fully dynamic
>
> Er...global in what sense? (Not a joke! Do you mean, global as in
> everyone agrees with it ("Common sense")?
> Uncaptured? So is this before we even get started writing it all down
> in some way? If so, I wouldn't call this an ontology at all, more
> like a weltanschauungen.
> Dynamic?? Do you mean changing with time? Why would it be? (Other
> than in the sense that all world-views are evolving, etc..)
>
> >TRANSITION
> >
> >A formal specification, encoded language
>
> A formalization of a world-view. Thats not a bad definition of an
> ontology, in fact. So yes, this is (I think) an ontology. But this
> seems to me to be where it stops.
>
> >TRANSITION
> >
> >A well defined syntax-ification process or mapping from ALL to a DESIGN.
>
> I don't know what the last four words mean in this context.
>
> >TRANSITION
> >
> >John Sowa cites Robert Frost "every poem is a momentary stay against
> >the confusion of the world..."
>
> Er... what?
>
> >TRANSITION
> >
> >A story, or local view, a set of information.
>
> Not a story: ontologies aren't much like stories. I guess many
> ontologies can be seen as 'local views', yes. And virtually anything
> could be described as a set of information.  But I don't see what
> these three ideas have in common.(?)
>
> Pat
>

> >Debbie
> >

> --
> IHMC            (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
> 40 South Alcaniz St.    (850)202 4416   office
> Pensacola                       (850)202 4440   fax
> FL 32502                        (850)291 0667    cell

Deborah MacPherson
www.accuracyandaesthetics.com
www.deborahmacpherson.com    (06)

The content of this email may contain private
confidential information. Do not forward, copy,
share, or otherwise distribute without explicit
written permission from all correspondents.    (07)