OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Infrastructure Meeting - Tue 2013_11_12    (3Z8F)

Topic: OOR Infrastructure Discussion: "SOCoP-OOR and related issues"    (3Z8G)

Co-chairs: KenBaclawski, MikeDean & TillMossakowski    (3Z8H)

Conference Call Details:    (40SN)

Attendees:    (40TL)

Agenda Ideas:    (40TZ)

Agenda & Proceedings    (40U7)

Archives:    (40U8)

1. Meeting called to order:    (40UB)

1.1 Roll Call:    (40UG)

2. Key discussion:    (40UJ)

2.1 Discuss SOCoP-OOR and related issues    (40UL)

2.2 Scheduling of upcoming OOR Events    (4120)

see also 3.2 below :    (4127)

most of the content below are inherited from the previous call(s), and will be edited/updated as this meeting progresses ...    (40V8)

3.2 scheduling of OOR Events    (40UY)

4. Prior Discussions:    (40VZ)

4.1 Discussion: tactically, what shall we be doing differently in the next 6 to 12 months    (40W0)

4.2 Setting the metrics - what does "success" look like    (40W6)

4.3 Action planning for "content drive" (getting people to upload ontologies) ... (deferred discussion of this item)    (40W7)

5. IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:    (40WZ)

 see raw transcript here.    (40X0)
 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (40X1)
 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (40X2)
	Chat transcript from room: oor_20131112
	2013-11-12 GMT-08:00 [PST]
	------    (416W)
	[6:55] PeterYim: Welcome to the    (416X)
	 = OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Infrastructure Meeting - Tue 2013_11_12 =    (416Y)
	Topic: OOR Infrastructure Discussion: "SOCoP-OOR and related issues"    (416Z)
	Co-chairs: KenBaclawski, MikeDean & TillMossakowski    (4170)
	session page:    (4171)
	Attendees: KenBaclawski (co-chair), MikeDean (co-chair), TillMossakowski (co-chair), 
	AleksandraSojic, DaliaVaranka, GaryBergCross, OliverKutz, PeterYim (scribe), ToddSchneider, and 
	NancyWiegand (on voice only; not in chat-room)    (4172)
	 == Proceedings: ==    (4173)
	[7:00] List of members: KenBaclawski, OliverKutz, PeterYim, TillMossakowski    (4174)
	[7:01] PeterYim: Till: needs to leave in 30 minutes;    (4175)
	[7:01] PeterYim: Ken: need to leave in an hour too    (4176)
	[7:04] PeterYim: == KenBaclawski, MikeDean & TillMossakowski starts the meeting ...    (4177)
	[7:06] PeterYim: access to various OOR instances & SOCoP-OOR - see: &    (4178)
	[7:11] PeterYim: so far, we don't know what caused the Oct-22 SOCoP-OOR crashing (and another 
	subsequent crash after rebooting)    (4179)
	[7:14] GaryBergCross: Note that Stephen M Richard from Arizona loaded IUGS CGI Consolidation Degree 
	Term Vocabulary (consoldeg) in Pct. Also Simon Cox loaded his O & M ontology in Sept and got a 
	parsing error. These are people that I talked to about the OOR and so they tried to load things to 
	test it out.    (417A)
	[7:25] MikeDean: The BioPortal version used for SOCoP still uses Protege 3 code. If you get a 
	loading error, try loading the ontology into Protege 3.    (417B)
	[7:09] GaryBergCross: @Peter, Does your retirement mean that CIM3 will no longer be involved?    (417C)
	[7:14] PeterYim: @Gary - I am just starting to plan that (and is just giving people ample notice) 
	... nothing is assumed yet, and it is not happening in, at least, another 6 (or 12) months    (417D)
	[7:14] TillMossakowski: (imported content of) BioPortal at Ontohub:    (417E)
	[7:17] PeterYim: Till: we have imported all the BioPortal ontologies onto Ontohub already; we can do 
	that for the SOCoP-OOR content as well    (417F)
	[7:18] PeterYim: Till: we plan to run multiple instances of Ontohub ... look under the 
	Repositories" tab - at    (417G)
	[7:19] TillMossakowski: Note that there are multiple repositories *within* one instance of Ontohub    (417H)
	[7:20] TillMossakowski: Is the BioPortal API available also for the SOCoP instance?    (417I)
	[7:26] TillMossakowski: The BioPortal API is available under . 
	How do I translate this into ?    (417J)
	[7:28] PeterYim: [action] Ken: I'll get back to you, Till    (417K)
	[7:30] GaryBergCross: Till Would your propose running the SOCoP repository as a separate instance?    (417L)
	[7:30] TillMossakowski: sorry, have to leave now    (417M)
	[7:31] PeterYim: question for the SOCoP principals - are you in touch with the ESIP people?    (417N)
	[7:30] GaryBergCross: No I haven't been in touch with Peter Fox.    (417O)
	[7:32] PeterYim: Ref:    (417P)
	[7:32] PeterYim: ESIP = Earth Science International Partners    (417Q)
	[7:33] PeterYim: ESIP-Portal = the Federation of Earth Science Information Partnerss ESIP-Portal. 
	ESIP-Portal is a customized version of the National Center for Biomedical Ontologys BioPortal 
	application, and is used for accessing and sharing Earth Science ontologies. This is run by 
	Foundation for Earth Science    (417R)
	[7:33] PeterYim: see:    (417S)
	[7:40] PeterYim: [answering question from Nancy on "what is the focus and scope of Ontohob" ... 
	(Till lready left the meeting)] as far as I undestand, one main focus of Ontohub is to implement 
	OntoIOp (Ontology, Model and Specification Integration and Interoperability) - see: (or )    (417T)
	[7:44] PeterYim: [action] GaryBergCross to work with MikDean (offline) to get access to the 
	SOCoP-OOR admin interface    (417U)
	[7:45] PeterYim: [action] Ken will work with Till to mirror the SOCoP-OOR content over to Ontohub    (417V)
	[7:48] PeterYim: NancyWiegand / GaryBergCross:  @Ken, @Till - please do not move "WisLandUseCodes (WisLandUseCodes)" 
	(Nancy: don't want to go public with this yet) and "Observations and Measurements (OM)" (Gary: not while 
	it still has parsing error)    (417W)
	[7:47] KenBaclawski: [ follow-up on [7:14] GaryBergCross' comment on SimonCox's parsing error: 
	validator error messages regarding the version of "Observations and Measurements (OM)" on the 
	SOCoP-OOR now ] Detailed report 
	Use of non-absolute IRI
	<> Domain <_:genid634989>
	[in ontology OntologyID(OntologyIRI() VersionIRI())]
	Use of non-absolute IRI
	<> Domain <_:genid635005>
	[in ontology OntologyID(OntologyIRI() VersionIRI())]
	Use of non-absolute IRI
	<> Domain <_:genid635011>
	[in ontology OntologyID(OntologyIRI() VersionIRI())]    (417X)
	[7:47] KenBaclawski: These are the errors reported by OWL Validator.    (417Y)
	[7:56] KenBaclawski: I checked IUGS CGI Lithology ontology with OWL Validator and it is valid, so it 
	should not have a problem at OntoHub.    (417Z)
	[7:53] PeterYim: still need to address the IPR issues, and gatekeeper to enforce the OOR-IPR Policy 
	- see:    (4180)
	[7:58] PeterYim: as a reference COLORE is now using: - Code 
	license: Apache License 2.0 ; Content license: Creative Commons 3.0 BY-SA    (4181)
	[7:58] PeterYim: Ontohub, I believe, is on AGPL (for code)    (4182)
	[7:59] PeterYim: I am negotiating with both MichaelGruninger and TillMossakowski about the 
	possibility of changing their licenses to align with the OOR-IPR Policy    (4183)
	[8:00] PeterYim: BioPortal has changed (from a Mozilla License) to be a fully OOR-IPR Policy 
	compliant set of licenses    (4184)
	[8:04] PeterYim: from the outset (2008 Ontology Summit), the OOR Initiative does support both "open" 
	and "non-open" content ... so, we *need to be clear*    (4185)
	[8:08] MikeDean: OOR should be able to (optionally) accommodate ontologies with different IPR rights 
	within a single repository.    (4186)
	[8:07] GaryBergCross: Mike...Nancy... We will have to address some of these issues/lessons learned 
	about maintenance and porting in our NSF report.    (4187)
	[8:13] GaryBergCross: Mike, Nancy et al., do you think that NSF would have any issues with some of 
	the products of their supported work going overseas???    (4188)
	[8:08] PeterYim: Aleksandra: we will have the option on Ontohub to support ontologies that can be 
	openly accessed, and ones with "limited access" ... that should be in place in a week or two ... 
	this is part of the preparation for the FOIS competition too    (4189)
	[8:11] GaryBergCross: @Aleksandra This model of different domains for ontologies sounds very useful 
	and would accommodate a place for our geospatial topics.    (418A)
	[8:13] GaryBergCross: One question if we port our ontologies there would be how to help develop, 
	manage and administer our part - or would OntoHub assume all of these duties....    (418B)
	[8:23] PeterYim: something else to think about: implementing the next ncbo-vm release 
	(triple-store-based; probably in the next month or so) on the Amazon cloud ... we should see whether 
	we can round up the resources to do it    (418C)
	[8:26] GaryBergCross: Peter / Mike when do you think the SOCoP OOR would go away do to lack of funding?    (418D)
	[8:27] GaryBergCross: I won't have time till December to consider some new work..    (418E)
	[8:28] PeterYim: @Gary - if SOCoP-OOR is going away, it is not for lack of funding 
	(it is "not funded" already!)    (418F)
	[8:28] PeterYim: good meeting!    (418G)
	[8:29] MikeDean: Thanks everyone!    (418H)
	[8:55] AleksandraSojic: [in response to Nancy's question on whether Ontohub will be available and 
	stable while the team is still developing that infrastructure] an important point regarding 
	stability of Ontohub. Since Ontohub is built on a git structure, it has separate branches for 
	development and staging. So, nothing is submitted to the staging (and master, i.e. visible website) 
	unless it is stable to be merged to it. In that way, while the development is taking place on, the UI on the main page is always stable.    (418I)
	[8:29] PeterYim: [action] Peter will follow-up with Ken & Till ref. the focus of next Tuesday's 
	OOR-Hackathon (n.05 - Tue 2013.11.19)    (418J)
	[8:30] PeterYim: -- session ended: 8:29am PST --    (418K)
 -- end in-session chat-transcript --    (40XT)

6. Action items:    (40XU)

7. Any Other Business:    (40XW)

8. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (40XY)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2013.11.12-8:33am PST
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (40Y4)

Resources    (40Y5)