socop-forum

Re: [socop-forum] Draft Minutes from SOCoP Meeting May 14, 2013

To: "Spatial Ontology CoP (SOCoP)" <socop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 07:56:09 -0700
Thank you, Gary.    (01)

Please help make the following changes ...    (02)

* Section 3. last paragraph
To:
//
Peter noted that many people who do not attend the session live later
go on the site to hear the topics and download material.  Some of the
presentations from our have already had over a thousand downloads
already (in the short time since).
//
Was:
//
Peter noted that many people who do not attend the session live later
go on the site to hear the topics and download material.  Some of our
presentations had had a thousand downloads. This was exceeded only by
some of the Ontology Summit downloads.
//    (03)

* Section 4.
** First Line
To:
//
The concluding event of the Ontology Summit (the
OntologySummit2013_Symposium) was held on May 2-3 at
NIST (Gaithersburg, MD campus.) ...
//
Was:
//
The physical meeting of the Ontology Summit (OS) was held May 2-3 Symposium at
NIST (Gaithersburg, MD campus.) ...
//    (04)

** 3rd Line,
To:
//
The Symposium Program and related details are now online
//
Was:
//
The Program is now online
//    (05)

** Last paragraph,
To:
//
Gary noted that Thursday 2013_05_16 there is a-: Ontology Summit 2013: review
and follow-up action planning ("postmortem") session. The Co-chairs are
MichaelGruninger & MatthewWest - See ConferenceCall_2013_05_16
//
Was:
//
Gary noted that Thursday 2013_05_23 there is a-: Ontology Summit 2013: review
and follow-up action planning ("postmortem") session. The Co-chairs are
MichaelGruninger & MatthewWest - See ConferenceCall_2013_05_23
<http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2013_05_23>
//    (06)

Section 5, last paragraph ...
To:
//
The rationale, need, and funding, of standing up and maintaining the
SOCoP-OOR instance - see: http://socop.oor.net/ontologies - will need
to be reviewed. Peter (who is standing up the physical/virtual
instance of the SOCoP-OOR server) suggested that MikeDean (who is
technically supporting the SOCoP-OOR instance now), should be in that
conversation (context: Mike wasn't at the call, when this was first
brought up; but when Mike joined, Peter was about to leave the
meeting.)    (07)

Peter and others have noted before, that ESIP is also standing up a
BioPortal-based Ontology Repository - their "ESIP-Portal" at:
http://semanticportal.esipfed.org/ontologies - which presents a huge
overlap with the SOCoP-OOR's purpose. Their work seems to be funded
already, and they have the resources and expertise to do a good job
with it.
//
Was:
//
Originally Mike was to stand up the server for the OOR, but Peter has had to do.
This needs to be discussed when we have the right people on the call.
Peter noted that ESIP's OOR is funded by NSF and has 80% overlap with the SOCoP OOR.
They may get EarthCube funding to continue, so we may have to consider what
would happen to our OOR if that happens.

Please acknowledge.    (09)

Thanks. =ppy
--    (010)