Re: [uos-convene] The value of ULO

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bill Andersen <andersen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 23:36:46 -0500
Hi Mills...    (01)

I agree.  However, I chose my particular suggestion for the tests so
that they test two very specific hypotheses:    (02)

1) That ULO extended to domain ontology beats tabula rasa domain
ontology given equal tasks, equal resources, and tested with respect
to performance on that particular domain.    (03)

2) That ULO-based domain ontologies beat tabula rasa domain ontology
given equal tasks, equal resources, when each is required to be
extended to a related but different domain.    (04)

These are not tests of the individual ontologies themselves.  In
fact, I can't conceive of what tests one might put to such things,
other than, say logical consistency wrt their respective formalisms.
That's not very interesting.  I would expect that different upper
levels would exhibit variable levels of comparative performance on
these tests.    (05)

What *is* interesting is to test the claims of ULO advocates
(including myself) that ULO not only better supports integration
(that's part of what the extension test would show) but also improves
the quality and lowers production cost of individual domain ontologies.    (06)

If these hypotheses prove correct, I claim that they put what I call
the "strong semantic web position" (that separately developed domain-
specific ontologies may be effectively linked and merged) and the
"folksonomic position" under significant pressure to validate their
claims, which IMHO have gone virtually unchallenged.  By contrast,
the "weak semantic web position" (that web-technology-based
mechanisms can be used to aid syntactic interoperability) seems to me
to be relatively innocuous.    (07)

On Mar 11, 2006, at 22:57 , Mills Davis wrote:    (08)

Cell: 443-858-6444    (010)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (011)