Re: [uos-convene] The value of ULO

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Sergei Nirenburg <sergei@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:25:18 -0500
Leo -    (01)

On Mar 11, 2006, at 7:01 PM, Obrst, Leo J. wrote:    (02)

> Sergei,
>
> Also, NCOR has an ontology evaluation committee, and we have proposed
> some stuff (and have a recent submission to EON 06). Perhaps you'd
> like
> to join this?    (03)

I would certainly like to learn about it. Thanks for asking.    (04)

> I'd also like to have a discussion about this, since my own background
> is semantics for NL, and once upon a time semantics was included more
> prominently in computational linguistics. Until the swing of the
> pendulum into statistical syntactic based approaches.    (05)

Great. It's very refreshing to join a group where NL semantics is
taken seriously. For over a decade it has seemed to me that I
am almost the only one still pursuing ontological-semantic-based NL
applications (other people did some descriptive semantics but few
worked on full-blown text analyzers). I think also that -- NL being a
preeminent
means of communication with humans -- some form of an NL interface to
ontological knowledge and its derivatives is essential for practical
success of the ontological enterprise as a whole.    (06)

Sergei
Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)