Re: [uos-convene] The Big Elephant...

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicola Guarino <guarino@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:12:24 +0100

On Mar 2, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Uschold, Michael F wrote:    (01)

> MIkeU said:
>
>> Oh, and by the way, the big elephant in the room is the fact that:
>>
>> It is the rarest of exceptions these days, that an application even
>> HAS an ontology, but hey, for the sake of this summit, shall we all
>> pretend that they do?
>>

> Nicola Replied:
>
> Either implicit or explicit, every application has it's own
> "conceptualization" of a domain of interest. Surely, only in few cases
> these conceptualizations are made explicit.
> --
>
> True. The difficulty is if there is no explicit ontology or schema
> for a
> given application, then there is nothing that can be mapped TO a
> common
> UO.  Hence, what is the value of a UO in this case?    (02)

Clearly almost zero, in this case. Maybe an UO can help "reverse
engineering" the implicit conceptualization, though.    (03)

Cheers,    (04)

Nicola    (05)

-----
Nicola Guarino
Co-Editor in Chief, Applied Ontology (IOS Press)
Head, Laboratory for Applied Ontology (LOA), ISTC-CNR
Institute for Cognitive Sciences and Technologies
National Research Council
Via Solteri, 38
I-38100 Trento    (06)

phone:     +39 0461 828486