Re: [uos-convene] The Big Elephant...

To: Upper Ontology Summit convention <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 06:50:46 -0800
Mike and Nicola,    (01)

Something more than just a UO is needed:    (02)

MU>> True. The difficulty is if there is no explicit ontology
 > or schema for a given application, then there is nothing that
 > can be mapped TO a common UO.  Hence, what is the value of
 > a UO in this case?    (03)

NG> Clearly almost zero, in this case. Maybe an UO can help
 > "reverse engineering" the implicit conceptualization, though.    (04)

As I've been saying from day 1, there is something more important
than a UO:  a framework that can accommodate any and every
ontology that anyone has had, will have, or wants to have, and
can relate them to one another.    (05)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)