RE: [uos-convene] The Big Elephant...

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:10:00 -0800
The punch line of this exchange is that:
* virtually no applications today use explicit ontologies
* w/o an ontology, there is nothing to map to a UO
* A UO has no use for virtually all applications, from the point of
helping interoperability.
  --except-- perhaps to help reverse engineer the implicit ogy of an
application to make it explicit.    (01)

So there must be another reason to justify the use of a UO than as the
basis for application interoperability.
At least, in today's world where applications don't have ontologies.    (02)

If we are saying that the main purpose of a UO is that it is the only
affordable way to achive semantic interoperability and this is done via
mapping form the application ontologies to the UO, then we are about the
long distant future when applications Do have ontologies. Why are we
doing this now?    (03)

Playing devil's advocate, to get our arguments crisp.    (04)

Mike    (05)