RE: [uos-convene] The Big Elephant...

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 07:26:25 -0800

MIkeU said:    (01)

> Oh, and by the way, the big elephant in the room is the fact that:
>
> It is the rarest of exceptions these days, that an application even
> HAS an ontology, but hey, for the sake of this summit, shall we all
> pretend that they do?
>    (02)

Nicola Replied:    (03)

Either implicit or explicit, every application has it's own
"conceptualization" of a domain of interest. Surely, only in few cases
these conceptualizations are made explicit.

True. The difficulty is if there is no explicit ontology or schema for a
given application, then there is nothing that can be mapped TO a common
UO.  Hence, what is the value of a UO in this case?    (05)

Mike    (06)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (07)