sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, AESIG <architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx>
From: John Bateman <bateman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:14:52 +0200
> It should be possible to use and reference a concept defined in another
> ontology without trusting all assertions in that other ontology or
> including the other ontology.  The view of the other ontology should be
> limited to the semantics required to be shared between the two domains.    (01)

This is called (or is the basis of) E-connections, one of many
ways of loose coupling ontologies. All of these methods need to
be properly incorporated in any sensible approach to modular
ontologies.    (02)

Refs:    (03)

Kutz, O.; Lutz, C.; Wolter, F. & Zakharyaschev, M. $E$-Connections of
Abstract Description Systems Artificial Intelligence, 2004, 156, 1-73    (04)

Kutz, O.; Lücke, D. & Mossakowski, T. Heterogeneously Structured
Ontologies---Integration, Connection, and Refinement. In: Meyer, T. &
Orgun, M. A. (ed.)  Advances in Ontologies. Proceedings of the Knowledge
Representation Ontology Workshop (KROW 2008), ACS, 2008, 90, 41-50    (05)

and others.    (06)

> This seems to be a general problem with FOL based integration.
> I would be interested in how an encapsulated reference may be supported
> in CL.      (07)

One general solution to this that we are exploring is (as described
in the last Ontolog session on this theme), to add CL into
HETS, thereby importing all the structuring mechanisms defined
for logics as part of HETS, which gives you automatically
the kind of encapsulation required. I strongly recommend acquainting
oneself with this institution-based approach to modularity
before re-inventing square wheels! :-)    (08)

Best,
John Bateman.    (09)