sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: AESIG <architecture-ecosystem@xxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:46:03 -0400
John(B)
The following is copied from a response to John(s) on the AESIG list
about FOL with respect to our needs to integrate architectures:
1) First order isn't good enough - architectures are modal,
non-monotonic and deontic - in other words, all the stuff that keeps
logicians up at night but people use all the time.  While CL may be able
to go beyond FOL and there may be some ways to encode some of these in
FOL+, the semantic set of modeling languages is essentially open and so
must be the ecosystem.
2) It is too hard - we want the ecosystem to be friendly to well defined
languages as well as those that are not.  We want to be able to import
knowledge that may not be grounded or well formed, we may or may not
ground it later.  To require that every concept that is brought into the
ecosystem be formally grounded is too high a bar and would prevent
adoption.
3) It is fragile and does not deal with inconsistency well.    (01)

So this will probably get me in deep water on this list, but it seems
like there is an over-emphasis on FOL.  We want to represent and make
sense of the knowledge people have and the way the want to express it.
The concerns of what is computable a FOL reasoner is not the first
priority.  There are certainly advantages to the computable subset of a
model and the strong semantics of FOL, but that is to provide a certain
set of capabilities and to "ground" those concepts that can be grounded
in a well established logic.  But, other logics have value as well and
are part of the overall picture.    (02)

-Cory Casanave    (03)