sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Whitten <whitten@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:49:05 -0500

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Chris Partridge <partridge.csj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi John,

Cory mentioned deontic in his original mail.

JS>    To support modal logics and other kinds of things, there is only
>    one additional operator needed:  the that-operator of IKL.

Does this support deontic logic?

My impression is the deontic aspect of models in commercial systems is often
not handled formally, but rather by  informal craft and convention.
In the academic sphere there is also (as I am sure you know) research on
using Searlean performatives - which are, I believe, not in CL.

This is all rather ironic as the original programming languages talked of
'commands'.

>    Common Logic is a superset of almost every modeling language
>    ever invented.

I think this can be misinterpreted. If one uses CL to capture the surface
formal structure of the modelling language, one does not then automatically
capture the intended interpretation.
Where a modelling language has an unclear on convoluted intended
interpretation (not uncommon) merely translating it into CL as best one can
will not resolve this. Though you could argue it is a good first step to
sorting things out.

Regards,
Chris

Perhaps I'm being a bit hard nosed, but if you know that the modeling language
has a convoluted intended interpretation, why would you not define the Common
Logic internal logic to be exactly that interpretation?

If you are going to use logic, I would think you would want to be exact.

David

CL