sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and IntegratingOntologies

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 16:11:25 -0400

My take is this:
Ontologies represent information on our systems (systems being general, inclusive of but not exclusive to I.T. systems).  These are systems like information, process, rules, and services.  A primary use case for defining such systems is to collaborate with others – so that our processes, services and information work together.  We can only collaborate based on what we understand.  We can only understand what we can see, what is “published”.  The paradigm of “email publishing” is insufficient – we want to be able to connect and link systems globally, so we need a global publishing and reference system.  An ontology that is an island may be interesting, but make it part of these global systems and it is of immense value.  We need the infrastructure for these published and linked ontologies of our interconnected systems.

There are certainly other use cases, but that is mine and that of a few of my friends.

-Cory Casanave