sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:02:08 -0400
On 09/04/2010 2:52 PM, kenb wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Cameron Ross wrote:
>

>> Thanks Todd.
>>
>> The use cases thus far describe Create, Retrieve, Update and Delete
>> (CRUD) functionality that is typical of a repository.  I'm looking for
>> use cases that correspond to the eventual end uses of onologies
>> residing within the repository.  For example, the trigger for the
>> "Find Ontology" use case is "Need for an ontology".  What are the use
>> cases that motivate the need for an ontology.  Although such use cases
>> may not be required for the system level implementation of the
>> repository, I believe they are essential to develop an understanding
>> of the types of problems that an ontology repository will help to solve.
>>
>> I guess I'm struggling to understand the value of ontology
>> repositories beyond their ability to facilitate the development and
>> sharing of ontologies.  If there isn't any value beyond this, then
>> what is the need for an "online" repository.  Wouldn't a system that
>> allows for the sharing and collaborative development of static
>> ontology artifacs (e.g. files) suffice?  SourceForge comes to mind.
>>
> The OOR use cases consider workflows/processes such as reviewing, mapping,
> composing, etc.  The use cases also distinguish the roles (actors) that
> are involved in these processes. IMHO, these go significantly beyond CRUD
> functionality.
>

>> Perhaps this a naive view, or it has been discussed previously.  If
>> so, some links would be much appreciated.
>>
> See the OOR use case descriptions at
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OOR/OOR-Use-Cases/oor-usecase.xml and

Horribly bureaucratic process. No way this will be able to get any
following among application developers.
The only criteria for submitting an ontology to a central repository
should be some claim on the namespace.
Our company owns "com.artifact-software" and I should be able to submit
any ontology that I want as long as I supply the minimal metadata to
permit the OOR to index it.
If people like the license that I give and can merge the ontology with
the rest of their set, then they will use it.
Adding a bunch of gatekeepers is only going to make the marketplace go
elsewhere.
> the main OOR use cases page at
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OpenOntologyRepository_UseCases
>
> -- Ken
>

>> Cameron.
>>

>> Kojeware Corporation
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2010, at 12:07 PM, Todd J Schneider<todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> Ron, Cameron,
>>>
>>> The OOR team does have high-level use cases addressing different
>>> roles of OOR users. Among them are Developer and [general] User.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?
>>> OpenOntologyRepository_UseCases
>>>
>>> Feel free to extend or add to the existing use cases.
>>>
>>> Todd
>>>

>>> From:
>>> Ron Wheeler<rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> To: