sio-dev

Re: [sio-dev] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] Sharing and Integrating Ontologies

To: "[sio-dev] discussion" <sio-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cameron Ross <cross@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 14:58:26 -0400

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM, kenb <kenb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Cameron Ross wrote:

> Thanks Todd.
>
> The use cases thus far describe Create, Retrieve, Update and Delete
> (CRUD) functionality that is typical of a repository.  I'm looking for
> use cases that correspond to the eventual end uses of onologies
> residing within the repository.  For example, the trigger for the
> "Find Ontology" use case is "Need for an ontology".  What are the use
> cases that motivate the need for an ontology.  Although such use cases
> may not be required for the system level implementation of the
> repository, I believe they are essential to develop an understanding
> of the types of problems that an ontology repository will help to solve.
>
> I guess I'm struggling to understand the value of ontology
> repositories beyond their ability to facilitate the development and
> sharing of ontologies.  If there isn't any value beyond this, then
> what is the need for an "online" repository.  Wouldn't a system that
> allows for the sharing and collaborative development of static
> ontology artifacs (e.g. files) suffice?  SourceForge comes to mind.

The OOR use cases consider workflows/processes such as reviewing, mapping,
composing, etc.  The use cases also distinguish the roles (actors) that
are involved in these processes. IMHO, these go significantly beyond CRUD
functionality.

I guess it all depends on how you define CRUD.  I'd argue that all of
the processes you mention are, in fact, CRUD processes... just a little
more elaborate than CRUD in the typical RDBMS sense.  That is, they
all relate to creating, retrieving, updating and deleting ontologies.

> Perhaps this a naive view, or it has been discussed previously.  If
> so, some links would be much appreciated.

See the OOR use case descriptions at
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OOR/OOR-Use-Cases/oor-usecase.xml and
the main OOR use cases page at
-- Ken