oor-nsf07601

Re: [oor-nsf07601] NSF Proposal was not accepted

To: oor-nsf07601 <oor-nsf07601@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:06:46 -0400

[ *** This list is for use by the OOR nsf-07061 team only - please do not share
or forward message without consent from the team! *** ]    (01)

I'm looking at the reviews and they basically summarize to 2 main points:    (02)

1) NETWORK: Proposal does not create a network. ... The project is interesting
and valuable, but not really broad enough or "network" enough to meet the
criteria of the DataNet program. ... The proposal is very strong on vision and
rationale but doesn't appear to meet the program call for a data network--the
focus on ontologies is compelling and will hopefully find funding through
another directorate.    (03)

2) DATA CURATION SERVICES:  It is in my opinion too narrowly focused around
semantic technologies to be a real DataNet candidate. It is difficult to tell
from the submission what if any data storage, management, curation services are
to be offered to scientific data (as opposed to scientific ontologies). ...
does not address the preservation and curation of actual data sets created and
used by the community.    (04)

There are some minor themes too.     (05)

I think to win an NSF grant you need Excellents, Very Goods predominantly.
Fairs and Goods won't do it.    (06)

Leo    (07)

Dr. Leo Obrst           The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx        Information Discovery & Understanding, Command &
Control Center
Voice: 703-983-6770     7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379       McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (08)

      (09)