Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository" (maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: "'OpenOntologyRepository-discussion'" <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:34:36 -0800
At 5:20 PM +0000 2/4/08, Dennis Nicholson wrote:
>I think the definition should be inclusive. Even if we think it is to be
>preferred that a repository should also manage, is it sensible to have a
>definition that excludes facilities that store ontologies and make them
>accessible?    (01)

Yes. The bar is *so* low if the only functions are storing ontologies and
making them available (any appropriate file store can do that, no?), that
adding 'manage' is what makes the project compelling from my point of view.
Otherwise why bother?     (02)

That said, if I'm the only one who sees it this way, I'll definitely let it go.    (03)

>...as long as we can agree that a terminology service registry isn't a
>sub-section of a repository as someone has suggested on the wiki.    (04)

I agree, someone might add that capability to a repository but it is
additional, not required, and not what I'd call 'contained within'.    (05)

And no, I don't think additional definitions will help. :-> (Said
tongue-in-cheek.    (06)

John
--
John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>  -- 831-775-1956