Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository"(maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 08:42:58 -0800
I like the notion of Repository = persistent framework; registry =
management, metadata framework.    (01)

An Ontology repository is a facility or facilities where ontology related
artifacts may be persisted and retrieved.  An Ontology Registry is where
metadata can be declared governing the storage, semantics, ownership and
access policies for artifacts persisted in the ontology repository.    (02)

/duane    (03)

On 2/4/08 8:34 AM, "dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbedford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    (04)

> All,
>
> I apologize for raising the concern - given what Dennis has described, would
> it
> be possible to modify the description to read...
>
> "An ontology repository is a facility where ontologies and related
> information artifacts can be stored, retrieved and/or managed."
>
> The insertion of the word "or" would make the definition acceptable to me.
> Without it, perhaps it will exclude some legitimate repository architectures.
> believe that 'retrieved' could be read to mean referenced.
>
> Best regards,
> Denise

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html