Re: [oor-forum] Defining "Ontology Repository" (maybe "OntologyRegistry"

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:04:59 -0800
Several thoughts:    (01)

(a) For me, the former definition (without the 'or') is significantly better.
The only acceptable repository for me is one which can accomplish all 3
functions (even if we have yet to set the minimum bar for 'managed').  Just
being able to do 2 out of 3 makes it useless as a repository for my purposes.
So it doesn't bother me to exclude those architectures which do not satisfy all
3.    (02)

(b) [Dennis:] I may not understand the difference between a terminology
repository and a terminology service registry -- is the latter what you mostly
called 'registry' or 'terminology/ontology registry' in your (20080204T094339Z)
email?. If so, I don't _think_ that difference is critical to the vote on the
definition of Ontology Repository, please provide additional clarification if
you think it is.    (03)

(c) I would like to see and have more discussion, and someday a definition,
that addresses the function of finding multiple ontology repositories. I like
matching common usage wherever possible, so the fact there are 2 common uses
for the term Ontology Registry (1: place serving metadata about ontologies, 2:
place serving metadata about ontology repositories) makes me not want that as
the term of reference. Fortunately, we don't have to have that discussion right
away IMHO, as it doesn't impact the definition of Ontology Repository. So I
defer further comments on that topic until the first definition is resolved.    (04)

John    (05)

John Graybeal   <mailto:graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>  -- 831-775-1956
Marine Metadata Initiative: http://marinemetadata.org   ||  Shore Side Data
System: http://www.mbari.org/ssds    (07)