Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon: BACnet Ontology

To: "'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter R. Benson" <Peter.Benson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 11:32:46 -0400
At ECCMA we have been working first with the Department of Defense, then
NATO, then large companies is setting standards for the unambiguous language
independent description of goods and services in an effort to "to bring the
shores closer together". The result is a common standard for cataloging
using a common open technical dictionary.     (01)

We have long recognized that "meaningful tags" were more than a nuisance and
we have replaced these with public domain concept identifiers that can be
openly resolved to an open technical dictionary.     (02)

ECCMA manages the eOTD, currently one of the world's largest open technical
dictionaries. Companies build their private corporate dictionaries as
subsets of the eOTD and they also build equivalence tables between their
concept identifiers and those used by their trading partners or enrich their
private corporate dictionaries by building equivalence tables between their
original concept identifier and the identifiers of concepts in the eOTD that
have better or multilingual terminology.    (03)

At first glance the duplication in the eOTD horrifies most modelers and many
who aspire to a simpler world. The duplication represents reality and the
purpose of the eOTD is to expose the existing complexity (and lack of
research or cooperation) by simply making available multisourced terminology
referenced in a standard model.     (04)

We also publish data requirements (cataloging templates), these contain
lists of properties (attributes) with data types as well as other
constraints. The properties are represented by concept identifiers from the
dictionary as are units of measure, currencies and other controlled values.    (05)

Beyond exposing the confusion that exists in the real world, the eOTD goes a
long way in allowing tags to be resolved to their underlying definitions as
a practical first step in improving data quality.    (06)

Peter    (07)